The Data Protectiont policy is a statement of the aims and principles of the School, for ensuring the confidentiality of sensitive information relating to staff, pupils, parents and governors.
Cannon Lane Primary School needs to keep certain information about its employees, students and other users to allow it to monitor performance, achievements, and health and safety, for example. It is also necessary to process information so that staff can be recruited and paid, courses organised and legal obligations to funding bodies and government complied with.
To comply with the law, information must be collected and used fairly, stored safely and not disclosed to any other person unlawfully. To do this, Cannon Lane Primary School must comply with the Data Protection Principles which are set out in the Data Protection Act 1998 ( the 1998 Act). In summary these state that personal data shall:
- Be obtained and processed fairly and lawfully and shall not be processed unless certain conditions are met.
- Be obtained for a specified and lawful purpose and shall not be processed in any manner incompatible with that purpose.
- Be adequate, relevant and not excessive for that purpose.
- Be accurate and kept up to date.
- Not be kept for longer than is necessary for that purpose.
- Be processed in accordance with the data subject’s rights.
- Be kept safe from unauthorised access, accidental loss or destruction.
Cannon Lane Primary School and all staff or others who process or use personal information must ensure that they follow these principles at all times. In order to ensure that this happens, the School has developed this Data Protection Policy.